Dulwich stabbing: First picture of father stabbed to death in row over cigarettes who ‘doted on his young daughter’


This is the first picture of a father stabbed to death in a row over cigarettes during a weekend of bloodshed in London.

Dennis Anderson, 39, was said to have been slashed across the throat by a man who confronted him in a 24-hour convenience shop in south-east London.

Police were called to Pay Less Food & Wine in Lordship Lane, Dulwich, at 2.35am yesterday but Mr Anderson could not be saved and was pronounced dead at the scene half an hour later.

Friends today paid tribute to the painter and decorator who had a teenage daughter. Luke Roche, 29, from Dulwich, described him as a “very good man”. He said: “Dennis had been at a friend’s birthday party last night and must have been coming home. But I don’t know what happened.

Knife victim: Dennis Anderson was said to have been returning from a friend’s birthday party

“He loved his daughter. He was a family man and very popular, no one had a bad word to say about him. I honestly can’t think of anyone he’d had a fight with. He just wasn’t part of that life.”

A man has been stabbed to death in south-east London. (Twitter / @Phil_McCrae88)

A woman who asked not to be named said: “He didn’t have a bad bone in his body. He doted on his daughter and was very loving.

“He used to party in the pubs in Lordship Lane. He was best friends with a load of boys who still live around here and all went to primary school together. They’ll be devastated. Whoever did this should be put away for a long time.” Detectives from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command were today studying CCTV footage of the attack.

Staff at the shop said customers tried to restrain the attacker, described as aged in his thirties, but he fled.

Local MP Helen Hayes said: “Appalled to learn of a fatal stabbing on Lordship Lane during the night. Another family now devastated due to knife crime. This has to stop.” A spokesman for the Met said: “There have been no arrests at this early stage. Inquiries remain ongoing.”

A 17-year-old was fighting for life after being shot in Isleworth on Saturday night, while a 23-year-old man was in a critical condition today after being stabbed in Neasden on the same night.

Four teenage boys remain in custody after being held on suspicion of attempted murder after a 16-year-old boy was stabbed in Hayes on Saturday afternoon. His injuries were said to be non-life-threatening. A man was shot in the leg in Hampstead last night. His condition was also thought not to be life-threatening.