This week Boris Johnson announced new changes to lockdown rules, including rules relating to drive-in cinemas, zoos and safari parks, which were all given the green light to open again from June 15 providing social distancing measures are in place.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, cinemas had to close their doors to customers. While they're still yet to get the go-ahead to open, drive-in cinemas are being allowed to open as social distancing measures are easier to enforce outdoors.
So if you fancy watching a film under the stars, here's a list of UK drive-in cinemas set to open:
- The Luna Cinema Drive-In: Open from July 4, The Luna Drive In Cinema experience will be screening the likes of Dirty Dancing, The Goonies and Aladdin at four locations, including London - Allianz Park, Midlands - Warwick Castle, Oxford - Blenheim Palace and Herts - Knebworth House.
- Drive & Dine Theatre: Drive & Dine not only features an impressive list of movies, but you can also tuck into an exclusive menu curated by Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge. Screenings will be taking place from July 7 across eight locations, including Bath, Warwick and London.
- @The Drive In: Kicking off in London in July, The Drive In will be hosting six contact-free screenings in various cities until October.
- Sunset Cinema: Located in West London, Sunset Cinema will be opening to customers from July 5. Films include Bohemian Rhapsody, La La Land, Joker and A Star Is Born.
- Nightflix Drive-In Cinema: Open from July 1, the Nightflix Drive-In Cinema experience will be showing 1917, Back To The Future, The Goonies and more at two locations: Colchester, Essex and Newark in Nottinghamshire. Look out for their Drive-In LIVE Music Festival too.
- Rooftop Film Club: From July 4, the Rooftop Film Club will be switching things up and running a contactless drive-in movie experience at Alexandra Palace in north London. They’ll be screening a mix of modern and classic films on a giant 40-foot LED screen and you can bring your own snacks and drinks or order concessions.
- Park N Party: Located in Manchester's EventCity, Park N Party will be hosting a variety of drive-in experiences from June 17.
When will cinemas open again?
On May 11, the government published guidelines stating that cinemas won't be opening until July 4th at the very earliest.
"The ambition at this step is to open at least some of the remaining businesses and premises that have been required to close," the Government said.
However, as cinemas "are, by design, crowded and where it may prove difficult to enact distancing may still not be able to re-open safely at this point."
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.
You Might Also Like