Couple married for six decades beat COVID-19 after nurses move them next to each other

·3-min read
Domenico, 79, and Concetta Scolaro, 73, were both admitted to Barnet Hospital in north London (Picture: SWNS)
Domenico, 79, and Concetta, 73, were admitted to Barnet Hospital in north London. (SWNS)

A couple married for 57 years have recovered from coronavirus after their beds were moved together in hospital.

Domenico and Concetta Scolaro were admitted to Barnet Hospital in north London suffering from COVID-19.

Mrs Scolaro, 73, was taken ill on 22 June, while her husband, 79, joined her nine days later on 1 July.

Intensive care unit staff, after hearing their pleas to be together, took the decision to place the couple in beds side-by-side so they could support each other.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.
Domenico and Concetta Scolaro on their 50th wedding anniversary (Picture: SWNS)
The couple on their 50th wedding anniversary. (SWNS)

Their daughter Sabrina said: “Because ICU wasn’t as busy as it had been the staff listened to my father’s impassioned request that he should be reunited with his wife.

"Staff went above and beyond to make this happen as they knew just how much strength they would both gain from being able to fight this battle together.”

Mrs Scolaro added: “When the nurse woke me up she said she had something to tell me about my husband. I feared the very worst but instead she told me he had the virus, had been admitted the previous night but now he was being put in the bed right next to me.

"I cried, but actually it was incredibly comforting to be together and just being able to watch him as he slept gave me strength.

"The staff were angels, they looked after me so well and never left my side. I remember one nurse in particular, Rachel, who stroked my hair. Our care was outstanding.”

Domenico and Concetta Scolaro on their wedding day in 1963 (Picture: SWNS)
Domenico and Concetta Scolaro on their wedding day in 1963. (SWNS)

As the couple, who live in Cockfosters, north London, began to recover they were taken from ICU on the same day to a ward where they were again put together side-by-side in their own bay.

After 16 days in hospital, Mrs Scolaro went home on 8 July and Mr Scolaro was discharged the day after.

The grandparents of five, who have owned Italian restaurants, are hoping to recover well enough to see friends and family.

The couple from Cockfosters, north London, married in 1963 after meeting at an Italian club in the capital.

Mrs Scolaro said: “I thought I was going to die, I honestly thought I’d never see my husband, my children or my grandchildren again.

“Now I’m looking forward to going dancing with my husband again – we met at a dance at an Italian club back in London in 1962 - and when we have our strength back we will visit Italy.

"Both of us have been given a second chance and that means everything.”

Debbie Kirby, ICU matron at Barnet Hospital, said: “We knew that putting this couple together would mean everything to them. Both of them had such spirit and determination.”

Coronavirus: what happened today
Click here to sign up to the latest news and information with our daily Catch-up newsletter

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting