What does a good oral health regime look like?

·2-min read

There's no time like the present to overhaul your oral health routine.

In order to prevent dental problems, it is best to maintain a good oral health regime, which should include flossing, brushing, using mouthwash, and having appointments with your dentist at least twice a year.

So, what should an oral health regime look like? Dr Robbie Hughes, leading cosmetic dentist and the man behind the Millionaire Smile teeth whitening range, has the answers.

Brushing

- Research shows that we should brush our teeth last thing at night and at one other time during the day for at least two minutes with fluoride toothpaste.

- Try to get into the habit of "spit, don't rinse". In order to let the toothpaste work its magic on our teeth, we need to let it be. Meaning after your two minutes of brushing, spit into the sink and leave the remaining toothpaste in your mouth.

- Eating or drinking foods containing sugar and acids can weaken the enamel on teeth, which is why it is important to avoid brushing for at least an hour after eating/drinking to avoid causing damage.

- Research shows that electric toothbrushes are more effective when used correctly. They're easier to use and also include timers which ensure you're brushing for long enough.

Flossing

- Brushing alone only cleans 60 per cent of the tooth surface, which is why it is essential to floss at least once per day (preferably twice!) to clean the remaining 40 per cent of the tooth surface. Floss can also be substituted by interdental brushes.

Mouthwash

- Mouthwashes can be useful as an additional item to keep you minty fresh all day long; they usually contain fluoride and antibacterial properties to help further prevent gum disease and decay. It is important to note that they DO NOT remove plaque, which can cause infections such as tooth decay and gum disease, so they shouldn't be used to replace brushing or flossing.

- The best time to use a mouthwash is after a meal or at a separate time to brushing as a breath freshener. Maximum benefits will not be obtained if used as part of your twice-daily brushing routine.

Diet

- A healthy balanced diet means a healthy mouth. Try to minimise sugar consumption to five occasions per day - three meals and two snacks. This allows the teeth time to recover.

Dr Robbie has used his vast dental knowledge to develop the vegan, cruelty-free teeth whitening range Millionaire Smile to help people achieve a sparkling white smile from the comfort of their own home without causing any damage to the tooth's enamel or demineralising the tooth's surface. The Teeth Whitening Kit is easy to use and comes with clear and straightforward instructions, while the rest of the range includes the Volcanic White Glow Toothpaste, Teeth Whitening Kit, Teeth Whitening Strips, and Instant Whitening Gloss.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting