Doctors have advised the Queen to rest for two more weeks says Buckingham Palace

·2-min read
Photo credit: Max Mumby/Indigo - Getty Images
Photo credit: Max Mumby/Indigo - Getty Images

Buckingham Palace has announced that the Queen has been advised by her doctors to rest for two more weeks, following a short hospital stay last week which saw her cancel a trip to Northern Ireland. The order to rest comes just a few weeks after she was spotted using a walking stick for the first time in two decades.

In a statement released on 29 October, Buckingham Palace confirmed that any of the Queen's official visits scheduled during this time will be cancelled, although she may take on some "light" virtual events in the meantime.

The Palace's statement read: "Following on from their recent advice that the Queen should rest for a few days, Her Majesty's doctors have advised that she should continue to rest for at least the next two weeks."

The statement continued, "The doctors have advised that Her Majesty can continue to undertake light, desk-based duties during this time, including some virtual audiences, but not to undertake any official visits."

The two week order means Her Majesty will miss the Festival of Remembrance on Saturday 13 November, however it is her "firm intention" to attend the Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph on 14 November.

"Her Majesty regrets that this means she will be unable to attend the Festival of Remembrance on Saturday 13 November," the Palace's statement added, "However, it remains her firm intention to be present for the national service of remembrance on Remembrance Sunday, on 14 November."

After hosting a Global Investment Summit at Windsor Castle on 19 October, it was announced the following day that the Queen would not be going to Northern Ireland as planned. A spokesperson for the Royal Family revealed that Her Majesty had "reluctantly accepted medical advice to rest for the next few days."

However, in a later statement, the Palace confirmed the Queen had stayed in hospital on the night of 20 October for "some preliminary investigations." According to the Palace, she had returned the following day to Windsor Castle and was "in good spirits." This was the first time the Queen stayed overnight in hospital since 2013, when she suffered symptoms of gastroenteritis.

After her hospital stay, the Monarch resumed public engagements on Tuesday, meeting ambassadors via video link from Windsor Castle, after resting up over the weekend. But, her attendance at the COP26 climate change summit, which is being held in Glasgow from 31 October to 12 November, was cancelled. Instead, Buckingham Palace said she would deliver her speech to the event's delegates via a pre-recorded video message.

We're wishing Her Majesty a full and speedy recovery.

You Might Also Like

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting