Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
As the temperature gets colder, watch this episode of Best Bites to learn how to make a warming bowl of butternut squash soup.
For pumpkin seeds:
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon maple syrup
For butternut squash:
- 2 pounds butternut squash, chopped
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper for seasoning
For soup base:
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup créme fraîche, plus more for garnish
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Mix pumpkin seeds and maple syrup and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes.
- On a separate baking sheet lined with parchment paper, add butternut squash and onions and season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 425° F for 25 minutes.
- Mix vegetable broth, chipotle pepper, saffron, orange zest and salt in a large pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Add in roasted squash and onions to soup and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add in with créme fraîche and blend until smooth, using a small hand blender.
- Once done, add soup to bowls and garnish with more créme fraîche, fresh parsley and roasted pumpkin seeds.