"Priscilla" does not feature a single song from Elvis Presley.
Sofia Coppola said it's because the branding company that owns a majority of Elvis' likeness declined her request.
"That made us be more creative," Coppola told The Hollywood Reporter about the movie's soundtrack.
Unlike director Baz Luhrmann, who was able to feature hits in his biopic about the King of Rock 'n Roll in his 2022 biopic "Elvis," Coppola said she wasn't allowed to use any of Elvis' music.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Coppola was turned down by Elvis Presley Enterprises, which is 85% owned by Authentic Brands Group (the Presley family owns the other 15%), a branding company that also owns the rights to Muhammad Ali and Marilyn Monroe's likeness.
"They don't like projects that they haven't originated, and they're protective of their brand," Coppola told THR. "But that made us be more creative." The movie, THR reported, opens with a 1980s Ramones cover of The Ronettes' 1963 song "Baby, I Love You."
"Priscilla," which is based on the 1985 memoir Priscilla wrote with Sandra Harmon titled "Elvis and Me," chronicles her life, which was turned upside down at just 14 years old when she fell for Elvis, who was stationed in Germany with the military at the time.
"Priscilla" is expected to make its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival in early September and open in theaters on October 27.
Read the original article on Insider