Eubank Jr's father, Chris Eubank Sr, had claimed he was going to pull his son out of the fight on health grounds, saying it wasn't safe for Jr to fall '1oz below 160lbs'.
'We have to be strict otherwise lives are put in danger, and my son’s life cannot be put in danger. I’ve already lost one. It can’t happen again,' said Eubank Sr, referring to the death of his son Sebastian, at age 29, last year.
However, speaking to talkSPORT, Eubank Jr's promoter Kalle Sauerland dismissed the claim and said Jr was busy preparing for the fight.
'Very clear statement – the fight is absolutely on,' said Sauerland. 'That’s all really I can say to it. I’ve seen it came from one comment to one journalist, which of course spread like wildfire. We don’t have a contract with Chris Eubank Sr, we have a contract with Chris Eubank Jr.
'He was sparring yesterday, my only issue at the moment is to find sparring partners because he’s going through them like a hot knife through butter. The fight is very much on.'
Eubank Sr said that if his son wasn’t pulled from the contest he would consider taking legal action as a last resort to stop the fight from happening. Again, Sauerland disputed this.
‘The contract is between us – that’s Wasserman Boxing – and Eubank Jr. So I don’t see what legal route there could be if that’s the case.
'I haven’t spoken to Sr. I have spoken to Jr – he reported yesterday that he had a very good sparring session, that was last night. For us it’s just about pushing and pushing. We all know it’s a massive event.'
While all this was happening, Conor Benn was busy training for the October showdown. On Monday night he posted on social media: 'Just sparred 10 rounds…. while someone's having DADDY ISSUES.'
You Might Also Like