While it's unlikely that one could ever tire of pigs in a blanket, it's about time the appetizer received a slight revamp. Rather than hot dogs, why not experiment with a fancier sausage flavor, like chicken apple?
The easiest, least-messy way to wrap these "chicks," or chicken sausages, is with crescent dough. Divide the dough into four rectangles, and wrap it around each sausage tightly.
Pinch the edges of the dough to completely seal it around the sausage.
Slice the rolls with a serrated knife, then pop them in the oven until the sausage caramelizes and the dough turns golden. These are guaranteed to go fast for breakfast, at a party, or for a game-day appetizer.
Chicks in a Blanket
From POPSUGAR Food
If you are more of a visual person, watch the video on how to make chicks in a blanket.
- 1 package crescent roll dough
4 chicken apple sausages, or another flavor of your choice
Yellow mustard, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Carefully unravel crescent dough and divide it into four rectangular pieces. Wrap each sausage around one piece of dough, pinching edges of dough to seal it tightly around sausage.
- Use a serrated knife to cut dough-wrapped sausages into 6 equal pieces. There should be 24 pieces altogether.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until dough is golden brown and sausage is heated through. Serve hot with mustard for dipping.
Category Appetizers, Finger Foods Cuisine North American Yield Serves 4-6