Channel 4 news has been banned from events held by Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party.
The six-week ban was reportedly triggered after the broadcaster aired an investigation into Farage last week, revealing he had been bankrolled by Leave.EU co-founder Aaron Banks to the tune of £450,000.
Responding to the investigation, Farage labelled the broadcaster “political activists”, adding that the organisation had “lost respect for Channel 4 News”.
He told the Press Association: “This is a two way street – the relationship between people in politics and the media is always going to be a slightly tense one, obviously, but it only works if everybody ultimately has a bit of respect for each other.”
Ben de Pear, editor of Channel 4 News, earlier confirmed the move on Twitter, adding that until the ban, the programme “had full access”.
He tweeted: “We hope to resolve our access ban from Brexit Party events ASAP.”
We hope to resolve our access ban from Brexit Party events ASAP. We were unaware of the 6-week ban until last Thursday when we broadcast this Nigel Farage investigation, revealing he had been bankrolled by £450k from Arron Banks. Until then we had full access, including to Farage https://t.co/giVSm2CIxg— Ben de Pear (@bendepear) May 21, 2019
Farage said Brexit Party chairman Richard Tice had asked to sit down with the broadcaster to talk about the issue.
“We’re not being silly about this, we’re just saying let’s try and get this relationship on an even keel,” he added.
Tottenham MP David Lammy is leading calls for other outlets to boycott Brexit Party events in solidarity with the channel, with several similar tweets receiving thousands of likes on Twitter.
“All media should boycott Brexit Party events if they really blacklisted Channel 4 News for exposing the truth,” he tweeted.
Guardian columnist Marina Hyde called the move “Trump bullsh*t”.
Blimey. @Channel4News says it has been told by @TheBrexitPartly it has been banned from all future events hosted by the party. They have apparently been blacklisted because of an incident involving access to a Leave Means Leave rally 6 weeks ago.— Paul Waugh (@paulwaugh) May 20, 2019
All media should boycott Brexit Party events if they have really blacklisted Channel 4 News for exposing the truth. https://t.co/TypbNSXAT3— David Lammy (@DavidLammy) May 21, 2019
The other broadcasters should show solidarity and decline to cover until Channel 4 is reinstated - this is just Trump bullshit and should be resisted https://t.co/mllPvTRheD— Marina Hyde (@MarinaHyde) May 21, 2019
The Brexit Party has banned Channel 4 News from attending future events organised by the party.— James Melville (@JamesMelville) May 20, 2019
Please retweet if you think that other broadcasters should now boycott events hosted by The Brexit Party in solidarity with @Channel4News.
The channel’s investigation, which aired last Thursday, revealed that Banks funded Farage in the year following the EU referendum.
The businessman was also found to have funded a multi-million pound Chelsea flat through one of his companies, a £30,000 Land Rover Discovery plus £20,000 driver, and gifts including furniture, council tax and bills, all for Farage.
Hundreds of thousands of pounds were also splashed on promoting Farage to American audiences.
Banks is currently being investigated by the National Crime Agency over the source of his funding for the Leave.EU campaign.
Farage has previously denied that Banks made any donations to the Brexit Party.
The Brexit Party has been contacted for comment.
This article originally appeared on HuffPost.