Prince Charles Is ‘Enormously Touched’ By Support Following Coronavirus Diagnosis

Olivia Blair
Photo credit: Max Mumby/Indigo - Getty Images

From ELLE

Updated 27/03/20: Prince Charles has issued a statement expressing his thanks for the well wishes he has received after contracting Covid-19.

On Thursday, Clarence House shared an Instagram message on its Instagram account to thank the prince’s supporters.

‘Thank you for all your “Get Well Soon” messages for His Royal Highness,’ the message reads. ‘He is enormously touched by your kind words.’

The post, which features a photo of the 71-year-old, was ‘liked’ by Prince William and Kate Middleton’s Kensington Palace Instagram account and the royal family’s account.

On Wednesday, Clarence House announced that the prince had ‘been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual’.

It also stated that the prince’s wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall has been tested but does not have the virus.

The couple are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.

Prince Charles has tested positive for coronavirus, Clarence House has confirmed.

According to reports, the Prince of Wales is isolating in the royal Balmoral Estate in Scotland with Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.

The 71-year-old experienced mild symptoms but is otherwise in 'good health', a spokesperson said.

'He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.'

Camilla has been tested too, according to the statement, but tested negative for the virus.

The couple were tested in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, as they 'met the required criteria for testing', Sky News reports.

Photo credit: WPA Pool - Getty Images

The statement added that 'it is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks'.

Before the more restrictive measures of self-isolating and social distancing were enforced by the UK government, Prince Charles was keeping busy at several engagements.

A fortnight ag0, the heir to the throne was pictured at the Prince's Trust awards at the London Palladium on March 11, and one day later at a dinner in aid of the Australian Bushfire Recovery Effort at London's Mansion House.

Photo credit: WPA Pool - Getty Images

At the Prince's Trust awards, the royal was seen mingling with TV presenters Ant and Dec, James Bond actor Pierce Brosnan and Rolling Stone guitarist Ronnie Wood.

Videos of Prince Charles at the event circulated online at the time as he chose to greet people with a 'Namaste' gesture instead of a handshake due to the escalating outbreak of the virus.

On March 10, Prince Charles attended Water Aid's Water and Climate event in London. At the same event was Prince Albert of Monaco, who became the first royal to test positive for Covid-19 last week.

In response to the news about Prince Charles' health, a spokesperson for the Queen at Buckingham Palace confirmed that Her Majesty last saw her eldest son on March 12 and she continues to be in good health.

'The Queen remains in good health. The Queen last saw The Prince of Wales briefly on the morning of 12 March and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare. We will not be commenting further,' a spokesperson said, according to ITV.

Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.

You Might Also Like