An environmentally conscious beauty blogger hasn’t washed her hair with shampoo for two years and claims her locks look amazing.
Lucy Aitken Read was fed up of spending money on expensive, chemical-laden shampoos and so decided to give them up back in 2012.
Two-and-a-half years later, the mother-of-two and self-confessed “typical modern hippy” reckons her shampoo-free hair looks the best it ever has.
“It has gone quite wrong at times but ultimately my hair is a million times more healthy, voluminous, and grows much faster,” she writes on her blog.
The “no-poo” way of life might seem a little daunting for those of us madly in love with our Bumble & Bumble bottles and Lucy admits it isn’t easy to start.
“If you stick at it, it DOES work. But sticking at it is really hard. Realistically, you will go through a least a couple of months of unhappy hair.”
Your hair has to get greasy first as the natural oils return after being stripped away by years of shampoo and then there is the stinky phase.
Lucy, who relocated from south London to a yurt in New Zealand with her partner and their two daughters, has even written a book about what she’s learnt – Happy Hair.
If you’re sick of pricey and chemical-filled shampoo, here are some of Lucy’s top natural alternatives that she swears by.
1. Bicarbonate of Soda – Lucy swears by this stuff to leave your hair “squeaky clean. Make a paste with a spoonful and a few drops of water and rub into your scalp. Leave it for a few minutes before rinsing for a seriously clean barnet.
2. Egg – Yep, eggs. Whisk a whole egg in a cup, pour over your head and massage into your scalp. According to Lucy, “It leaves my hair SO clean and SO soft and shiny” but a word of warning: make sure you use cold water or you could end up with a head full of scrambled eggs!
3. Water – Just plain old aqua massaged into the scalp for five minutes every five days makes your hair voluminous but we reckon it takes a while to get to that stage.
4. Bicarbonate of Soda – Back again! For die-hard dry shampoo lovers, Lucy recommends a sprinkle of bicarb brushed through your hair. A tip for darker haired eco-warriors – add some cocoa powder to the mix but be careful of profuse sweating!
5. Apple cider vinegar – This is your new conditioner. Add a splash to half a cup of water, pour over hair and leave for a few minutes before rinsing out.
6. Sugar and Lemon – Mixed together make for a “nice crispy” hairspray.
Lucy claims that after two years of the “no poo” life she’ll never go back but would you ever ditch the products?
Let us know on Twitter.
[Guilt Free and Beauty Full: The New Make-Up Brand You Need In Your Life]
[Journalist Ditches Basic Hygenie For A Month With AMAZING Results]