The Great Gatsby actress looked picture perfect on the red carpet in a chic Balenciaga frock and a stunning beauty look with dark, smouldering smokey eyes.
We tracked down Carey’s trusted make-up artist, Georgie Eisdell, to find out how she did her red-carpet beauty look on the biggest night of the fashion calendar.
“My inspiration for Carey's look came from her dress,” the Los Angeles-based MUA told Yahoo! Lifestyle.
“I wanted her to have an edge - a very structured makeup look, but barely there at the same time.”
Georgie prepped the star’s skin with Chanel skincare – which Diane Kruger is now the face of – including the Chanel Hydra Beauty Serum.
Once she had given the Brit actress’ skin a ‘good dose of hydration’, she applied foundation and powder.
Georgie opted for Chanel Perfection Lumiere Long-Wear Flawless Fluid Sunscreen Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 15 to ‘even out her skin tone and give her a flawless finish’, before dusting loose powder to ‘set her base so it would last all night.’
On her cheekbones, Georgie applied Chanel Powder Blush in Rose Bronze to contour and shape her face.
But it was Carey’s beautiful, smokey eye that really stood out on a red-carpet of bizarre looks.
“The eyes were the focus of this look,” said Georgie about planning Carey’s make-up.
Carey Mulligan’s smokey eyes at the Met Gala in five easy steps:
1) Georgie started by lining Carey’s eyes with Chanel Precision Eye Definer in Noir.
2) Next, she used Chanel Eye Shadow Duo in Nuit-Claire. ‘Claire’ (the nude shade) was applied all over Carey’s lid and ‘Nuit’ (the shimmering black shade) was added to ‘soften the edges ever so slightly.’
3) Finally, Georgie brought the shadow under the eye and on the outer corners to really ‘open them up and create an edge.’
4) Georgie curled Carey’s lashes before applying mascara.
5) The final step to Carey’s smouldering smoky eye was three coats of Chanel Inimitable Waterproof Mascara in Noir ‘to really open up the eye and create an edge.’
The Great Gatsby’s stars pretty nude pout was achieved with Chanel Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lip Colour in Fantasque ‘to finish off her look and complement her skin tone.’
Will you be re-creating Carey’s stunning beauty look? Let us know over on Twitter now.
[Related: Met Ball 2013: Red carpet fashion]
[Related: The Great Gatsby: Red carpet fashion]