Bear Rescued From Warehouse Rafters

·2-min read

I can't bear to look! A bear is picture precariously perched in the rafters of a warehouse.

The Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources (DWR) were called to a manufacturing plant in Pulaski County to assist. A forklift and platform allowed rescuers to tranquillise the bear, and to safely lower it to the ground. The department were then able to transport it to a suitable site for release.

Virginia DWR explain: "In the early afternoon of June 4, DWR staff from the Wildlife and Law Enforcement divisions were notified of a young bear that had made its way into a large manufacturing plant in Pulaski County and lodged itself about 20 feet off the floor into the rafters of the building.

"DWR staff from both divisions responded to the scene. After assessing the situation, it was apparent to staff that given the location of the bear, odds were low that it would soon safely leave on its own. Considering the plant's production needs, the decided that the best course of action would be to immobilise the bear and remove it from the area.

"With the aid of the plant's lift equipment operators and safety staff, a DWR biologist was lifted into position to safely administer a chemical immobilisation dart. With some quick and effective operation of a forklift and platform, the immobilised bear was safely lowered from its perch. A physical health check was performed on the bear, which was then loaded into a carrier and transported to a suitable site for release. With the great teamwork between DWR Wildlife and Law Enforcement staffs and on-site staff, this operation was conducted safely and effectively for both bear and humans.

"DWR would like to emphasise that the first and typical option in most scenarios involving a bear that is treed or has entered a confined space is to ensure the bear has a good escape route and to remove people or pets (if present) a far distance from the animal. Given ample time, once the bear doesn't feel scared or threatened, it will feel comfortable enough to leave on its own. In this particular situation, the bear was given time to leave, but because of the large number of plant employees on site during the work day, the interruption to plant operations, and potential safety risk to both the bear and humans, DWR determined that safe removal was the best course of action."