Advertisement

Baltimore Bridge Victim Remembered as Someone Who 'Fought Day After Day' for His Family

Six construction workers are presumed dead following the collapse of the city's Frances Scott Key Bridge

<p>Maynor Suazo/Facebook</p> Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval, one of the workers missing since the collapse of Baltimore

Maynor Suazo/Facebook

Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval, one of the workers missing since the collapse of Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge.

One of the six construction workers who are presumed dead after Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed on Tuesday is being remembered as someone who "fought day after day" for his family to "get ahead."

On Wednesday, Maynor Suazo's loved ones opened up to Noticias Telemundo, per NBC News, about how he gave them "strength for everything."

Suazo was an employee of Brawner Builders, which was doing maintenance work on the structure before a container ship collided with it at 1:30 a.m. local time. The Honduran native is dad to an 18-year-old son and a 6-year-old daughter, his brother Carlos Alexis Suazo Sandoval revealed to the outlet.

“He fought day after day for our family to get ahead. He looked for a way to make a living,” his sister Norma Suazo told the Spanish-language outlet, as his other brother Fredy Suazo described the victim as someone who was “smiley, the type of person that always fought for the well-being of the family.”

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

As previously reported, his family told CNN that Suazo had been living in the U.S. for 18 years.

“You come to this country to accomplish your dreams, and sometimes that dream doesn’t get fulfilled,” Fredy told Telemundo. “And for a tragedy like this to happen to us, can you imagine?"

Suazo's brother-in-law also told Telemundo that he “leaves a very great legacy" and "has been a great example for many people.”

<p>JIM LO SCALZO/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock</p> Rescue efforts in Baltimore on Tuesday following the Francis Scott Key Bridge's collapse.

JIM LO SCALZO/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

Rescue efforts in Baltimore on Tuesday following the Francis Scott Key Bridge's collapse.

Related: Who Are the Victims of the Baltimore Bridge Collapse? What We Know So Far

Suazo and another father, Miguel Luna, were identified as two of the six victims by authorities and family on Wednesday. Officials announced in a Wednesday morning press conference that two bodies were also recovered by divers in a red pickup truck. They have since been identified as Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, of Baltimore, and Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, 26, of Dundalk — also workers who went missing.

Luna's wife, María del Carmen Castellón, said officials have told her family "that we have to wait, that for now they can’t give us information," per NBC News.

Nonprofit organization CASA previously reported that Luna is a father of three who lived in Maryland for over 19 years.

She added that she and the rest of Luna's family are "devastated, devastated because our heart is broken, because we don’t know if they’ve rescued them yet. We’re just waiting to hear any news.”

<p>Miguel Luna/Facebook</p> Miguel Luna, a man who went missing following the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore Tuesday.

Miguel Luna/Facebook

Miguel Luna, a man who went missing following the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore Tuesday.

Related: Baltimore Bridge Collapse Survivor Described Watching Ship Get Closer, Says Maryland Gov.

A GoFundMe campaign to support the families of the bridge collapse victims via the Latino Racial Justice Circle has reached nearly $100,000 before its organizer disabled new donations.

"With this campaign completely exceeding our expectations and the Latino Racial Justice Circle being 100% volunteer-run, we have decided to close the fundraiser so that we can now focus on getting the funds we raised today out to the families," the organization shared in an update. "We understand that many more people want to contribute, and we ask that going forward people donate to the fundraiser that the Baltimore City Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs set up this afternoon."

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore revealed on CBS Mornings Wednesday that he has since met with the families of the victims. "They received the worst news that they could have possibly received," the governor said. "When their family members left to go to work, they never imagined that the result would be ... a bridge collapsed and now their family member's missing."

On Wednesday night, National Transportation Safety Board Chairperson Jennifer Homendy revealed that she too had spoken with the families of the victims.

Brawner Builders owner Jack Murphy also issued a statement on the company's website, noting that the employees were “doing bridge maintenance work on the surface of the bridge” during the crash and collapse of the bridge. “Our company is in mourning over the loss of these fine people. But of course, our sense of loss cannot in any way compare to what their families are feeling."

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.