- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
With the country facing a drought (Water firms resist government calls for more hosepipe bans, 3 August), surely now is the time to appoint a minister for drought, as occurred in 1976 when, almost immediately following Denis Howell’s appointment, there was heavy rainfall across the country, causing widespread flooding.
• Are Rishi Sunak and Liz Truss in fact Marxists, since they appear to believe in Groucho’s alleged remark: “Those are my principles, and if you don’t like them … well, I have others.”
Elsecar, South Yorkshire
• Regarding Christine Ozanne’s letter (4 August), I am definitely now planning to have a golden bedding anniversary. Just have to decide when.
Darlington, County Durham
• Donald MacKay says he travelled from Inverkeithing to Bangkok by train (Letters, 2 August). I wonder whether the staff in the ticket office at Inverkeithing were at all fazed by his ticket request.
• Thank you for the article on procrastination (‘There is hope’: expert writes guide to tackling procrastination, 4 August). I shall read it tomorrow.
• Have an opinion on anything you’ve read in the Guardian today? Please email us your letter and it will be considered for publication.