Ant McPartlin has announced he will go back into rehab and take a break from his TV commitments after being arrested on drink-drive charges on Sunday.
The TV star was arrested over the weekend after being involved in a three-car smash.
And, on Monday, ITV confirmed that this weekend’s episode of ‘Ant And Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway’ has been cancelled.
A statement from the star said: ‘Ant has decided to go back into treatment and step down from his current TV commitments. He has spoken with Dec and ITV today and asked for time off for the foreseeable future. As such ‘Saturday Night Takeaway’ will not be going ahead this Saturday.’
ITV issued the following statement in support of the star and to clarify this week’s programme on Saturday, 25 March:
‘ITV has taken a joint decision with Ant and Dec’s team not to broadcast Saturday Night Takeaway this weekend.
‘We will be reviewing options for the last two episodes of the series which would not feature Ant who is taking time off to seek treatment.
‘We very much hope that he gets the help that he needs.’
Earlier today, a police statement read:
‘Police in Richmond were called to Lower Richmond Road, SW14 at 15:59hrs on Sunday, 18 March following reports of a road traffic collision involving three vehicles.
‘Officers, London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade attended.
‘A number of individuals were treated at the scene for minor injuries only. A child passenger from one of the cars has been taken to hospital for a check up as a precaution.
‘A 42-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of drink-driving after failing a roadside breathalyser test.
‘He has been taken to a south London police station for questioning. Enquiries continue. Roads are expected to reopen shortly.’
A witness of the incident reportedly told the Sun that the telly icon became ‘agitated’ when a police officer escorted him into the back of their car.
‘Ant looked in a right state and was acting argumentatively toward a policewoman,’ they claim.
‘I couldn’t believe it when I saw who it was.’
A Met Police spokesperson said that the presenter, 42, was ‘taken to a south London police station for questioning and has since been released under investigation.’
After being released from police custody in the early hours of this morning, TV bosses were under enormous pressure over what to do about the weekend’s live show and how to deal with the star that has previously spent time in rehab for drug abuse.
McPartlin has been in and out of the headlines over the past few months, having gone through a very public break-up with wife Lisa Armstrong. The pair were together for 11 years but went their separate ways over the Christmas period.