The man fell ill following a flight from Dubai to Glasgow: PA
A man is fighting for his life in an isolation ward after being diagnosed with a deadly tropical disease following a flight from Dubai to Glasgow.
The 38-year-old was taken ill after his connecting flight from Dubai, and tests confirmed he is suffering with Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever (CCHF).
He was admitted to the Gartnavel General Hospital's Brownlee Centre in Glasgow, which specialises in infectious diseases, within three hours of his flight's arrival in Glasgow.
Health officials are now trying to trace his fellow passengers on Tuesday's Emirates flight EK027 from Dubai.
According to the Daily Mail, the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde released a statement saying: "The risk to all other passengers on the flight is extremely low; however, if they have any concerns they should contact NHS24 on 08000 858531 for advice, further information and reassurance.
"Given the fact that this man went into the care of the NHS within three hours of his flight arrival in Glasgow and travelled directly home via private transport from the airport, we are confident that his close contacts subsequently within the city were minimal."
CCHF is a tick-borne viral disease that is particularly prevalent in East and West Africa.
Outbreaks of the disease are usually attributed to contact with blood or bodily fluids of infected animals or people.
Initial symptoms include headaches, high fever, back pain, stomach pain and vomiting. In severe cases, other symptoms can include jaundice, and changes in mood. Severe bruising a nosebleeds are also common a few days after developing the illness.
Dr Syed Ahmed, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde consultant in public health, is co-ordinating an investigation into the case, along with colleagues from Health Protection Scotland and the Health Protection Agency.
He told the Daily Mail: "The risk of person-to-person transmission of Crimean-Congo viral haemorrhagic fever is extremely low as it can only be transmitted by direct contact with infected blood or body fluids.
"It is not a virus which is transmitted through the air. As such the risk to those who were in close contact with him is minimal."
Video: Girl catches bubonic plague on camping trip
Tourists warned as Yosemite park-linked virus kills third victim
74 people fall ill with vomiting virus at Hilton Hotel in Wales
Sign up to our weekly newsletterFollow us on TwitterBecome a fan on Facebook