A 20-year-old woman died after attending Reading Festival this weekend

·2-min read
Photo credit: Joseph Okpako - Getty Images
Photo credit: Joseph Okpako - Getty Images

A young woman died in hospital on Friday night (27 August) after attending Reading Festival. According to the festival's organiser, Festival Republic, the 20-year-old had a pre-existing medical condition and was taken to Royal Berkshire Hospital where she later passed away.

Speaking to the BBC, the organiser said: "It is with deep sadness that Festival Republic confirms there has been a death at Royal Berkshire Hospital."

The statement continued, "A 20-year-old festival-goer with a pre-existing condition tragically passed away on Friday evening. Her family was with her when she died. We are in touch with her family and extend our sincerest sympathy to them and her friends."

Thames Valley Police said the woman's death was not a police matter, and no further details about the incident have yet been released.

The three-day event attracted more than 100,000 festival goers over the August Bank Holiday, with headline acts including Post Malone, Stormzy, Mabel and Machine Gun Kelly.

At the festival, another woman was rushed to hospital after her hand was trapped between the security barriers during a live performance. 16-year-old Summer Gibbs was taken for an x-ray and reportedly lost part of her fingertip as a result of the injury.

Photo credit: Joseph Okpako - Getty Images
Photo credit: Joseph Okpako - Getty Images

A clip of the incident started circling on TikTok, and the young woman can be seen drifting in and out of consciousness as she is helped by security guards.

Summer later took to TikTok to share her account of what happened. In her video, she said: "So me and my friends went to Reading Festival and waited an hour and a half for Aitch and as the time got closer and closer more people started flooding in. As Aitch came on stage a huge mosh pit formed and we got caught at the back of the mosh pit."

She continued, "I was slammed into the fence and as I looked down my finger had been clamped in between two of the fences. There were so many people trying to get the fence apart and free my finger and because of the adrenaline I didn’t feel any pain as it was happening. I was in and out of consciousness and kept fainting throughout."

The 16-year-old then added "I was sent to the hospital to have an X-ray, the tip of my finger came off and it was fractured. It will take a couple of months for it to fully heal."

Cosmopolitan UK has reached out to Festival Republic for comment.

You Might Also Like

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting